7 April 2015

UKCC Level 3

So the last few weeks have been quite eventful the work at Llain Activity Centre has picked up and I completed the next stage of my journey to become a UKCC Level 3 coach by completing the canoeing specific section of the training.

The course was undertaken with Plas Y Brennin (also known as the national mountain centre or PYB) and lasted two days with on the water and in the boat coaching throughout. Our venue for this course was the River Dee. A river I had not paddled before. The coach assigned to us for the two days was Sid Sinfield the senior paddle sport guy at PYB.


The course was brilliant and I left with a clearer understanding of the mountain of work ahead of me before I am ready for my assessment, which I'm hoping to be ready for in a year or so.

The second day of the course in particular was good as we had two genuine 'guinea pigs' to run a session on, My two sessions covered reverse ferry gliding or setting, I was amazed at the knowledge stored away in my own head, when being questioned about the technique's needed to perform the task I seemed to pulling out all the correct comments from my memory library!

I do how ever have a lot to work on including my ability to accurately profile a client so that I can more accurately deliver there wants and needs. More thoughts on this will follow as I aquire long term students and start assembling my assessment portfolio.

On which point I will finish, I registered if you remember my CR form back in January letting Canoe Wales know I was intending to do this course and paid my moneys (in the region of £30 I seem to recall). The paper work I received including my assessment portfolio is an out of date copy, with sections no longer included in the assessment and with some sections and missing several sections the assessor will need to see, I was mildly disgruntled on hearing this and after a polite but firm -mail I am assured Canoe Wales will deliver an up to date portfolio as soon as they receive them from British Canoeing in Nottingham. What a saga, Meaning I am unable to get started as efficiently as I would like. Aghhhhhhh.