10 November 2015

Back to Bases

So I have been rather quiet on the blogging front for some time, I am sorry but duty called.

At the start of the summer holidays I was able to acquire three garments from Paramo a company I have had a lot of success with over the years namely in there directional analogy Waterproofs (Systems). During my time at Abernethy they were a staff favourite and rightly so being comfy and warm and well simply brilliant.

In my move to Wales the weather became fairer and summers marginally longer and the mountains Smaller, so the demand for some of my more robust technical items became less acute, I started having need for lighter garments with a bit more scope.

I acquired two Paramo base layers, the 'Mountain Vent pull over' made with 'Parameta S reversible material' and a 'Grid technic baselayer' made from 'Parameta G Temperature control' material. Both Items made at Paramo's factory in Columbia.

First off the 'Mountain Vent' At first I was delighted by the striking Cobalt colour' (nice blue in layman's terms) and also at how snug it felt next to the skin In Work trials- leading Open Canoe trips and lowland walking on the Ceredigion coast as well as Sea kayak trips around south west Wales in my spare time, I have found it a very reliable companion.

When combined with more technical white water paddle sports tops, it has still delivered comfy, and sweat free skin. The reversible feature is a nice touch in that you can use the same garment reversed to wear in warmer situations to help keep you cooler, similar to all of Paramo's Cambia range. It is worth pointing out at this point that Paramo at the time this blog is written is no longer advertising the Mountain vent baselayer on there web site, I assume discontinued, though I am at a bit of a loss as to why.

All in all a really nice baselayer that leaves one in need of very little else on the top half of ones body when engaged in light or Welsh summer conditions. On all walks, paddles trips & outdoor work I all ways have carry spare layers including a Paramo Adventure light 'Aspira' smock, though when this base layer is being worn very rarely needed, unless in utter downpour! I would rate this 9/10.


I have a little suspicion the discontinuation of 'mountain vent' is due in part to the utter brilliance of my next feature. The Paramo 'Grid Tech'. It is without doubt the nicest most cosy & delightful base layer I have ever worn. How they get such performance from what is arguably a very light flimsy looking (& feeling) material I do not know, I suspect Alien technology. Again wearing it in trials over the summer I have frequently found myself without any need or remote desire to wear anything else, During a recent expedition to the Ardnamurchan peninsular in Scotland for Sea Kayaking it was the only thing I wore on some days, underneath my buoyancy aid of course. I have at times over the summer months refused to take it of and worn it as pyjamas! On one occasion wanting to put the garment under scrutiny I immersed myself in Cardigan bay completely soaked, by the time I reached Llain Activity Centre where I was working (20 mins walk with a group of children) my Skin had been dried and only the remotest hints of water were left in the material.  I highly recommend this base layer. 10/10.